It's definitely on my bucket list.
But for now, I will settle for a super awesome Derby party thrown by friends, complete with fancy hats, a red carpet, and even a live pony!
A Derby party wouldn't be complete without Mint Juleps, and a Jaymee Sire attended party wouldn't be complete without Jello Shots.
In the interest of time constraints and getting this up before Saturday's race, I'm simply posting the recipe instead of a full blog post. Cheers!
Mint Julep Jello Shots
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Keywords: jello shot bourbon mint Kentucky Derby spring
Ingredients (30 shots)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup tightly packed mint leaves
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 30 silver plastic shot glasses
- Paper straws, cut to size
- additional mint sprigs, for garnish
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on high until sugar has dissolved, and water has just started to boil.
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of mint leaves. Stir, cover, and let steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour Bourbon into a large measuring cup. Sprinkle with the unflavored gelatin. Do not stir. Allow it to soak in for about 5 minutes.
- Once mint is done steeping, strain the mixture into the large measuring cup with the Bourbon. Stir for 3-5 minutes until gelatin has thoroughly dissolved.
- Place shot glasses on a rimmed sheet pan. Fill about halfway. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Right before serving, insert cut straws and additional mint sprigs.
Powered by Recipage