I randomly met this couple on a plane ride to Mexico, and as they say, the rest is history. I was a bridesmaid in their St. Louis wedding, and I even threw Kim a bacon-themed bridal shower while we were both still living in San Francisco.
Kim loves cooking and entertaining just as much as I do, and on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, she invited some of their friends over for food, drinks and games. Aside from the homemade pizza and cheese/charcuterie board (which I overindulged to the point of making myself sick), she made her go-to party snack: cranberry salsa. It's so simple but so yummy and perfect for holiday gatherings, so I figured I would share it on the blog.
When I say simple, I really mean it. All you need for Kim's recipe is a bag of cranberries, cilantro, green onions, jalapeno, lime and sugar. I also reduced the amount of sugar, added a touch of salt and a little fresh squeezed orange juice just to Jaymee-fy it, but that's totally optional. It's also great exactly the way Kim makes it!
Layer your ingredients in the food processor in the following order: cilantro, then green onions (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces), cranberries, jalapenos, sugar, lime juice, and orange juice (if using). Start processing, and if needed, add a teensy bit of water to keep the ingredients moving. Season to taste with salt and more lime juice, if desired. I like the smoother consistency, but you could go coarser if you prefer a chunky salsa. In that case, pulse until it reaches desired consistency.
And that's it! Wait at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to incorporate, but you could also make this the day before and refrigerate. Kim recommends serving with a frito-style corn chip. It would also be great on leftover turkey sandwiches, atop pork (pork tacos even??) or served on a cracker with cream cheese. Plus, it's red and green... perfect for Christmas entertaining!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Keywords: blender appetizer snack condiment cranberry jalapeno cilantro Christmas Thanksgiving Mexican winter fall
Ingredients (1 bowl of salsa)
- 1 12-ounce bag cranberries
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup sugar (up to 1 cup if you like it sweeter)
- 2 limes
- juice from 1/2 orange
- sea salt, to taste
- Sort cranberries and discard any berries that are mushy. Wash and set aside. Trim roots from green onions and cut into 1" pieces. Trim the very bottom of the cilantro. Stem and slice jalapeno in half (remove seeds if you don't like spicy).
- Layer ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade in this order: cilantro, green onions, cranberries, jalapeno, sugar, juice from 1.5 limes, orange juice. Process until smooth, adding a tiny bit of water if needed to get ingredients moving. Season with sea salt and more lime juice, if needed.
- Allow to stand at least 15 minutes and serve with corn chips.
Powered by Recipage