As many of you know, I've been in Kansas City for the last couple days covering the MLB All Star Game. (More on all of the rib-sticking food here later this week).
I've also started doing some guest posts for On Demand Weekly to coincide with new movies available for purchase On Demand. Today, it's the release of American Reunion.
I'm sure I don't need to remind you of the infamous scene from the first movie of this popular franchise, American Pie. Let's just say the apple pie in *that* scene...ahem...was less than appetizing. I promise a much different result from this apple pie ice cream. Yup...I said it: Apple. Pie. Ice cream.
Click here to get the All American recipe. Enjoy the movie and the All Star Game tonight, and stay tuned later this week for some mouthwatering Kansas City BBQ.
Apple Pie Ice Cream
Keywords: dessert vegetarian ice cream apple ice-cream pie
- 2 large apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ to 1 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream (depending on how creamy you like it)
- 3-5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cookie crumbs (ginger cookies, oatmeal cookies, or graham crackers)
- additional cookies, for garnish
- Place prepared apples into a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water, a cinnamon stick and the sugar. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until apples become very soft (about 15-20 minutes). Remove the cinnamon stick and mash until it has the consistency of chunky apple sauce. Set aside.
- Heat either half and half or cream on the stove until very warm. Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl and pour in about ½ cup of the warmed cream. (This helps “temper” the eggs so they don’t scramble). Return the egg mixture to the pan with the rest of the cream and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in vanilla and transfer to a separate container. Stir in apple sugar mixture and store in an airtight container several hours or overnight. (It needs to be completely chilled!)
- Freeze according to the manufacturers’ instructions. During the last 5 minutes, add the cookie crumbs. Serve immediately or freeze for a couple more hours until it reaches desired consistency. Garnish with an additional cookie and serve!
Powered by Recipage