I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to posting a crab recipe, but I'm definitely going to be eating more of this as long as it's Dungeness Crab season in San Francisco.
Stuffed mushrooms are also a favorite of mine. I have a version that includes chopped pepperoni and mozzarella cheese and another that calls for Italian sausage and cream cheese.
These beauties I concocted as I was waiting out a flight delay at LAX. Simple and delicious, the crab is the star here. And I LOVE the addition of cooking them on the grill.
(**UPDATE 1/1/13: Most of the Authentic Eats links on the website seem to be broken, so I'm posting the original recipe here).
The crab is the star here, so I went with a subtle mix of garlic, green onion, and thyme. All you do is trim and remove the stems from the caps...finely chop those up. Next, thinly slice the green onions and separate the green portions from the white and light green parts.
Brush the outsides of the mushroom caps with a little olive oil and season the inside with sea salt.
Saute the chopped mushroom stems, garlic, white/light green parts of the onions, thyme, and red pepper flakes in olive oil over medium heat until soft, about five minutes.
This is an optional step, but I decided to whip the cream cheese to make it a little easier to work with. (Really, I just wanted to test out my new Bamix immersion blender). Alternately, you could just buy whipped cream cheese.
Combine the mushroom stem mixture, cream cheese, and grab in a medium bowl. Squeeze a little lemon juice and season to taste with your favorite seafood seasoning. (i.e. Old Bay, etc)
Grill over medium-high heat with grill closed for 15-20 minutes. (If your grill grates are big, you might need a grill basket, but I was fine without one).
Garnish with the green onion tops and serve!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Keywords: grill appetizer mushroom crab cream cheese Super Bowl Tailgate
- 12 large brown crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh cooked crab meat
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (reduced fat is fine)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions with tops, thinly sliced and green parts separated from the white and light green portions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoon Olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Sea Salt
- Old Bay seasoning
- a few squeezes fresh lemon juice
- Clean mushrooms with damp paper towel. Trim and remove stems, finely chop and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a small skillet. Add chopped mushroom stems, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and the white/light green parts of the onions. Sauté until soft, about five minutes.
- Brush outsides of mushroom caps with a little olive oil. Season the insides with sea salt.
- Combine mushroom stem mixture with crab, cream cheese, and a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice. Season to taste with Old Bay or your favorite seafood seasoning. Spoon into mushroom caps. (Do ahead step: can be prepared to this point and stored overnight in fridge).
- Heat grill to medium-high. Grill mushrooms with grill covered for 15-20 minutes. (you may want to use a grill basket to keep mushrooms from falling through the grate).
- Garnish with green parts of onions and serve!
(*Note: if you are not preparing for a tailgate, you can bake these in the oven at 350 degrees).
Powered by Recipage